From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:05:22 -0500
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:37:05 -0800, Wally Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a challenge for you, Amadeus. You're
>exceptionally good at coming up with tables, forms,
>and figures to support your points (a habit I find
>distastefully non-paleolithic :). Can you create a
>spreadsheet of what your diet would be considering
>the "seasonability" of foods? In other words, instead
>of simply stating that you could get 'x' amount of
>protein and fat from a given food, but that you could
>get 'x' amount adjusted for seasonable variances.

Distasting spreadsheets?
Do you use spreadsheets for nutrition? I don't.
If so, how do they look?
Would you share them?
If you have some to share, I offer to make them public available (e.g. at
paleolix).

Now about seasonability:
1.Upper paleolithicum food:
In the upper paleolithicum (after 40000bc, shortly before neolithicum)
homo sapiens moved to colder regions (europe, asia) and encountered heavy
seasonability there. And fatty animals, that makes heavy hunting possible.
Long seasons without plants, even without any food (winter).
Worm seasons without trees, but many herbs (shots).
It is believed that this regions were inhabited by very few humans, which
fled the climate toward wormer enclaves (like Spain).
This is close to neanderthin eating.
As you may have noticed this is not my area of interest.
You can do the seasonability charts.

I note that this time (28000 years) is only about 1% of paleolithicum (2mio
years) and it seems evolution was finished with creating anatomically modern
humans before that (at 100kyears ago).

On the other hand the descendants of these people, were possibly a big
percentage (80%) of later europeans, which constitute todays population of
Europe, North America and the latin part of South america.
Former types of hominids up to 1 mio years back (homo erectus)
did likewise enter distant northern areas, but died off.

2.Evolution food/ real paleolithic food
 (99% Paleolithicum 2mio years..0.040 mio years back)
At the moment we have most probably to think of east africa as the place
where the homo sapiens evolved, and where we showed up at 100k years back.
Most of this area is close to the equator, with small changes between
seasons. In "cold" phases just very dry. And more and more like a savannah.

Could be similar to what Koisan (!Kung) experience today.
Beyondveg has an article and tables with data it:
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-3f.shtml
It results in the following percentage of calories:
Protein: 15%  Carbohydrate: 25%     Fat: 60%
for average. Season data is also there.

That's for koisan, which are versatile hunters, equipped with bows/arrows
and technology like poison for arrows. Paleolithic hunters older than the
last 1% of paleolithicum (when bows came up) i would expect to catch less.

As far as tubers are relevant (i suppose this), they are storage  organs and
therefore should be available most or all of the year.

>As far as using technology to get foods out of season,
>I think most of us are guilty of that.

Most natural food items cease availability at some time of the year.
This implies long "resting" phases for the body from this food.
A fact that the imune system could have adapted to.
I think so.

Cheers,
Amadeus