Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:40:53 +0100
Thanks Geoff for your thorough reply...

I am familiar with Marylebone market and do go there often... have only seen one stall selling wild meat... it's a farmer who raises sheep and chickens... his chickens are very good and the cheapest around... I did buy their mixed wild game casserole meats... not bad...

The water buffalo farm [Broughton Water Buffalo] is biodynamic but they do feed biodynamic soya to their animals!!! I've had a long chat with Patricia, the farmer about this a few years ago... got into similar conversations with several other organic meat farmers re grass-feeding... most seem to think that grass alone is not enough... sigh... same thing with the Queen's Park farmers market [the nearest to me]... no grass-fed meat there...

OTOH... The Ginger Pig with a shop just next to Marylebone market [Moxon st. + Borough Market] DO sell grass-only fed meat from their herd of British Longhorn cattle and 'ginger' pigs... their animals only eat what grows on the Yorkshire moors... they don't even use artificial insemination on the farm!.. their calf liver however is mostly sourced from France, the Limousin area and is usually snapped up by 'The River Café'...

Borough may be overcrowded and a touch touristy but the 'Wild Beef' farm sell meat from their herd of Welsh Blacks cattle... those animals ARE exclusively fed on whatever grows wild on Dartmoor... I don't get to go to Borough much nowadays... another sigh...

BTW... the Seeds of Health website was set up by Denise after the two of us formed the 'breakaway' NTUK list :-)

Dedy

  From: Geoffrey Purcell To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 12:57 PM

  Well, I go to several, depending on my needs.  I primarily go to farmers' markets under the LFM Association banner as they're organic and have better quality foods than most other markets(and are usually cheaper). They have a website which has a markets map and each market has directions on its own homepage showing you where to go(most of the bigger, more useful markets are held Saturdays and Sundays), with the more minor markets operating on Wednesdays. The biggest LFM farmer's market in London is the one at Marylebone every Sunday at 10am-2pm(actually in a  car-park c.5 mins walk from  Baker Street Station). Some stalls only turn up every 2 weeks,not every week, while other farms only appear during certain seasons)(Oh, and all LFM markets appear every week except around Easter and Christmas/New Year) - :-

  http://www.lfm.org.uk/

  http://www.lfm.org.uk/markets.asp

  Marylebone farmers' market, the biggest one, only has one stall selling wild hare right now(on the left, the one near the fishmonger's) - it's not the right season, so you have to specifically make an order for it, for the next week. The fishmonger provides live lobsters if you pre-order from him. Another stall, on the right, Layer Marney(?) Farm, sells grassfed lamb and mutton(a better option than lamb), and, during the right season, not now, it sells things like wild mallard duck, goose eggs etc. Another stall sells water-buffalo meat etc. But do look around other LFM farmers' markets within your range  as the farms change LFM markets every so often, and I've found some great places selling guinea-fowl and other exotic things you can't find in more conventional places. I've even seen one customer get an entire deer-carcass from one farmer at one stall in some farmers' market, due to a special order he made (God knows how the customer  planned to store it, let alone cut it all up!). The key is to ask at the various stalls for a farm-leaflet containing an e-mail( or phone-number(phone-number is best re reaching them) ,and then phone to ask re availability and make an order which you can pick up at the next market at the same stall, or have delivered to your house direct.

  You should also search online on Google for any grassfed beef/lamb/pig's farms in neighbouring UK counties next to London, and get them to send you a parcel of chilled meats/organ-meats direct to your address(the meats come with ice-packs and the usual delivery-charge is c.9 pounds sterling per package, irrespective of size). I get my raw suet/raw marrow delivered that way. Also, search online for things like saltmarsh-fed lamb or heather-fed lamb etc., or ask at the farmers' markets re availability.

  There are also online, organic food directories for the UK such as the "Big Barn" one etc.

  Also, have a look at the various ethnic markets in London. I've managed to get some tasty goatmeat from the Brixton market, for example.

  (Don't bother to visit Borough market(London Bridge tube) as it's a tourist-trap and ridiculously over-priced - though, if money is no object, you can get hold of wild-boar meat, sharkmeat etc.- it's most active on the 3rd saturday of each month, but is quite active on the weekends - don't go during monday to thursday as there are far fewer stalls, there).

  (usually, grassfed-meat  websites don't show organ-meats, but some farmers will sell them if asked - unfortunately, due to retarded recent government measures, farmers have to pay not only a EU-sponsored vet-agency to inspect their animals prior to slaughter but they also have to pay the official UK government inspectors for doing much the same job, so they're loathe to sell organ-meats(which most people, being ignorant re health, don't want, anyway) as that would entail having to pay for extra time for the organ-meats to be inspected as well - Private Eye magazine is the only periodical raising this issue at the moment).

  Here's a standard website for finding grassfed meats (many don't sell organ-meats, though, so you have to ask each one):-

  http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/resources/meat/index.shtml

  Geoff

   "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognised. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, and in the third it is regarded as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer.