From:
Robert McGlohon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:10:40 -0700
>> I'm not aware of Ray Audette recommending to "trim the fat" off of
>> meat (can you give us a page number so we can look it up?), but he did
>> recommend "lean meats" on p. 81 of the 1999 edition of NeanderThin.

> I've lent out the only copy I have around but I'm 99% certain
> somewhere he recommends trimming the fat off meat.  I *might* be
> making it up.  Maybe it was The Paleo Diet I read it in.  But I'm
> convinced it's in Neanderthin somewhere too...

> As soon as I get chance to check, I will do.

> Ashley

I have the 1996 3rd ed. of the self-published Neanderthin.  Not only does Ray describe routinely eating 8 strips of uncured bacon for breakfast (p. 84-85), he also promotes the eating of pemmican (p. 65) and writes:
"Fat consumption. A commo mistake made by neophte hunter-gatherers is trying to limit fat intake. This will only result in extreme hunger and fatigue ... If you have a high-energy day planned, have more bacon (uncured) at breakfast.  If you feel drained during the day, use a high-fat snack such as nuts or pemmican to boost your energy." (p. 61)
Robert