From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 16:33:26 -0500
>Hoofed animals are at an all-time low when compared to the last few
>million years.
>As a result of extensive agriculture what was four feet of topsoil is now
>a few inches one hundred years later in the American Great Plains.
>The number one parasitic
>killer of humans, malaria (140 million cases yearly) is closely linked to
>rice production as it favors the life cycle of the mosiquitos that carry
>it.

Hey, Ray, where do you get these fascinating tidbits?  I love to tell my
friends one you mentioned in the book:  a person wearing a cotton coat is
responsible for the deaths of more animals than someone in a fur coat,
because of all the habitat that is destroyed to grow the cotton.

Can you recommend some books, web sites, or other resources on this "deep
ecology" thing?

Thanks!