Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:18:16 -0500
Donna H wrote:

> Barry wrote: <<I even tried R. Audette's suggestion of all meat
> and
> nothing else from Thanksgiving through Christmas of last year only to
> gain 10
> pounds (while in ketosis I might add).>>
>
> Well, now this is interesting. Possibilities I'd guess at include your
> muscle gain (someone here must have some body fat%-to-pounds-of-muscle
> equation that spits out how many calories it took to put on the muscle
> that resulted in your body fat percentage decrease). It's interesting
> to note that such a high-protein diet put meat on your bones :)  ...
> there are a couple of other possibilities that *could* be happening,
> and I'll leave it to others on this list to vouch for or shoot down
> the theories.
It's also possible that creatines consumption went up with higher meat
diet. This would volumize the muscle giving higher weight.

> And second, on the low carb lists I follow it's been noted
> occasionally that when weight loss stalls, one fix for some folks is
> to add a tiny bit of carbohydrate and their weight loss picks up
> again. This is supposedly because at some very deep level of ketosis
> your body realizes it is not in a normal state and counterbalances (to
> do with insulin), overcompensating. Moral of story: nothing too severe.
Also could be due to the increased T4 to T3 conversion. I know that I tend
to get hot flashes when I have carbs and fluids after being in strict
ketosis for a while.

> Third, possibility of nutrients you were getting elsewhere, perhaps in
> greens, like magnesium, that are not in meat. Unless you took a
> multivitamin/multimineral, and even then, there are things like
> electrolytes, etc., to take into consideration.
>
> Then Todd wrote: <<Incidentally, I got my wife to try Neanderthin,
> after over a year
> of enduring my dietary eccentricity. She enjoyed the meat and
> eggs and nuts, but didn't enjoy the rapid weight gain -- about 15
> pounds in 2 months.  It wasn't muscle either.  She is now happily
> losing that weight on Weight Watchers.>>
If she was eating too many nuts (or whatever else) to have enough
carbs then all the extra fat she was eating would be fully burned
in the presence of those carbs.

Ilya