From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:53:12 +0900
On Wednesday, July 20, 2005, at 08:27  AM, George & Sherry Van Rijn
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I can't figure out what's up with the sudden dairy cravings.  I was
> never
> like this before.

Hi. I don't have dairy cravings, but I have noticed several times that
when I strictly cut out dairy I lose a lot of energy and get cramps
when running. I suspect that the reason is I am not getting some
nutrient in my regular diet that is satisfied by dairy.

Our modern diet, even 'paleo' is pretty narrow. If you have ever seen a
cat eat some little animal it has caught, cats eat the whole animal
except for maybe a few skin scraps or feathers. They eat the guts too,
so they get some half-digested seeds or whatever that animal has been
eating, as well as all the organ meats, bones, everything. My dogs,
when I was growing up on the farm did the same. Sometimes a pig would
die suddenly, and my Dad would drag it out. The dogs would eat that
animal gradually as it rotted, starting with the guts. I don't know of
any of us who eats quite that wide a diet!

I guess that is why so many cultures use fermented foods, to regain
some of the nutrition lost by not eating whole animals. I think I
should eat more organ meats, but except for heart I don't much.
Occasional liver.

I would be interested to hear others comments about this.