From:
Kenny Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:32:53 -0800
Let's say you exercise for 2 hours/day at a heart rate
of 150 bpm.  For two hours the heart beats a total of
18000 times.  Lets say for the remaining 22 hours of
the day, 8 of which we will allow you to sleep your
heat will beat 67200 beats +28800 beats(14+8 hrs @
80bpm and 60bpm) for a grand total of 114000bpday.

Now if you did not do exerice your normal heart rate
and resting heart rate would be higher.  Lets say 16
hrs at 100bpm and 8 hrs at 70 bpm.  Total beats in a
day...129600.

114000<129600  And who does two hours of aerobic
exercise a day?  Very few of us.  I'm sure there is
scientific evidence to support this but I wasn't going
to look it up.  I've heard the claim you spoke of and
had pretty much learned that it is wrong.

Just think if you exercise even more and the resting
heart rate goes down even further like mine.  That
means the heart beats even less while at rest and
normal activity.  Again saving more beats.

Take me for example.
RHR 40bpm x 9 hrs(sleep)=21600beats
Ex HR ~150(avg) x 4hrs =36000beats
HR ~60bpm x11hrs(daily activ)=39600
97200 beats per day.

Quite a savings over the typical American I'm
sure(~15000beats). And now that I'm eating Paleo, I
recover faster from workouts and my heart rate is
dropping even more.  Had to tie it in somehow.

=====
-kb.