From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:42:47 -0500
Here's a question for William and other Stefansson fans. The question
arises as an aquaintance of mine is shifting to palaeo eating but is
worried about becoming constipated.

My guess is that she'll have fewer bowel movements when she changes
but I advised her not to regard this phenomenon as being in any way
related to constipation. I have told her that meat and fat are largely
absorbed in the digestive process and leaves the body in urine or in
breath. I have also passed on my own experience which is that when
I switched from being a vegetarian to palaeo eating in 2000, my
bowel movements reduced from one every day (occasionally two)
to one every 1-3 but that the reduced frequency was no
accompanied by any discomfort. I would notice discomfort more
than most because I lead an active life including three pretty
intense gym sessions most weeks.

Do you know what Stefansson experienced by way of frequency and
ease of bowel movements? What the Inuit experience is in winter
and spring when there's virtually no roughage to be had?

Keith