From:
Kim Tedrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 22:35:21 EST
In a message dated 3/6/99 10:08:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I will check that out.  I dislike doctors, so haven't had anything check
>  out in years.  I wonder if my accupuncturist can tell me?

Your acupuncturist probably can't diagnose hyperthyroidism, but he or she
SHOULD be able to treat it successfully. (If he/she practices traditional,
five-element chinese acupuncture).

You'll need bloodwork to diagnose hyperthyroidism, but don't let western
medical doctors tell you what to do about it -- they'll tell you to a)ignore
it til it goes away, b) have your thyroid injected with radioactive iodine, c)
advise you to have it surgically removed, or d)  undergo a course of low-dose
radiation therapy.  Many of those option will necessitate a life-long
dependence on Synthroid.

I was diagnosed with Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism) in the mid 80's, and
was successfully treated with one treatment from my acupuncturist.  Of course,
whenever I give my medical history to a new doctor, and admit to the Grave's
disease/acupuncture, they HAVE to test my thyroid functions -- even fifteen
years later.  It kind of cracks me up (and I've tested normal ever since!).

Hope this helps,
Kim