From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:58:30 +0100
On Jul 07, 2004, at 2:18 pm, Rundle wrote:
> Have a look at Barry Groves' site -- Second Opinion UK --
> in particular - http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/eatfat.html

Dedy,

I will read that in detail some time.  The bit that caught my eye was:
> We do not get fat because we eat too much (although many do). If that
> were the  cause, other species with an ample food supply would also
> get fat -- yet they  don't. In fact, the only animals in their natural
> environment who are  genetically disposed to put on fat are those
> whose food supply is not  guaranteed.

I guess the key must be that humans have had a fairly stable supply of
food as Ray says with the megafauna carcasses.  I'm still puzzled what
happens to excess fat though, even in the relative absense of carbs.
(Maybe the answer is further in on that site...)  I guess I could
answer the question for myself if I went out with a knife and a box of
matches, killed a few cows and saw how much (fat) I could eat.  I don't
suppose I'd be very popular with the farmers though.  Speaking of
which...

> There are plenty of beef producers in the UK raising ancient breeds of
> cattle like Highland cattle, Welsh Blacks and English Longhorn and
> more, subsisting on natural moorland grasses and herbs in Devon, North
> Yorkshire, the Highlands and other areas... same with rare breed
> indigenous sheep.
>
> Where in the UK do you live?... I could give you farmers and producers
> details...

I'd *love* to know this!  I'd be very grateful for the information.  I
live in Staffordshire (Stoke-on-Trent).  I didn't even know there were
natural cows still alive.

Ashley