From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:17:34 -0400
While there appears to be a fair amount of evidence linking grain
consumption with various diseases, I am unable to find much of
anything against legumes.  On the contrary, Medline searches turn
up scores of studies appearing to demonstrate the protective
effects of legumes against cardiovascular disease and cancer.
The well-scrutinized Mediterranean diet, for example, makes
fairly extensive use of legumes.  From a paleodiet standpoint,
where is the "smoking gun" for legumes?

I note that most legumes, unlike grains, have a low glycemic
index, especially if they are cooked at home and not canned.
Lentils, for example, have some of the lowest glycemic index
values of any foods.  Soybeans are also very low.  They are thus
less susceptible to the criticism that as carbohydrate sources
they cause elevated insulin.  But the "foreign protein" criticism
remains.  But if it is valid, we would expect it to leave an
epidemiological trail, as well as some clinical fallout.  I'm not
finding that.  Any ideas?

Todd Moody