From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:43:24 -0700
>>the highest carb veggies (corn, yams, potatoes, acorn
>squash) are
>>typically avoided. And coincidentally, are considered
>not-paleo.
>
>How many know that Corn is a word used for grain in some
>parts of Europe.

this reminds me... was bouncing around in the USDA nutrient database last
night, and out of curiosity looked up a couple of the winter
squashes--including acorn and pumpkin.  The effective carb count, a la
Protein Power, for those raw is roughly the same as an onion.

I just thought that was interesting.

Now potatoes and sweet potatoes, are another matter--more than twice.

I didn't bother to look up yams, since I figure the odds of me, in the US,
running into any is slim to none (I realize they're available in the rare
ethnic grocery/restaurant--just none near where I live or have
friend/relatives I'm likely to visit)...  although, given they can easily
weigh as much as a cat, I suppose I'll notice if I ever run *over* one :)

Dianne