From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:15:16 +0000
On Feb 02, 2006, at 7:21 pm, Wally Day wrote:

> First, he put a root on a stick and roasted it over the fire - but it
> retained all of it's bitterness. It softened and puffed up just like a
> marshmallow, but - at least to him - it was still inedible.
>
> Then, he boiled the roots in his hat (I kid you not). First time
> I've seen
> someone actually accomplish this feat. The hat (obviously
> waterproof) was
> filled with water (like a hide might have been), and heated rocks were
> added until the water started to boil. He would cover it, let it
> simmer for
> awhile, add another rock, let it simmer, and so on. Eventually, the
> root
> was very soft, and had lost much of it's bitterness. He still
> grimaced at
> the taste, but it apparently satisfied his hunger.

Hmmm, maybe I should be grateful for cultivated veg after all...

If you look on www.westonaprice.org , there's a description somewhere
of aboriginal Australians who processed a huge range of plants.
Apparently some of them were poisonous.  So it makes you wonder where
to draw the line about what is paleo and what is not.  I guess making
a poisonous seed form 80% of your diet probably counts as too far,
but below that who's to say?

This is the sort of thing I don't like to discuss with paleo-
sceptics, as it's a prime example of something that is easily
manipulated to make the whole diet look unsound.  But I've often
wondered if one of the reasons for our success as a species is that
our language lets us describe foods in exceptional detail.  We can
tell the difference between an edible mushroom and deadly one that
look almost identical.  On the other hand, I think chimps have been
observed using plants for medicinal purposes (eg flushing out
parasites), so perhaps we aren't that much more advanced after all.

Ashley