From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:51:17 -0500
On Apr 28, 2012, at 10:05 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> So I've been eating a very low to zero carb, moderate protein, whatever fat diet.  As I mentioned my doc liked my health.  But he tried to call me back in to discuss my cholesterol numbers -- and I asked to see the report before I'd agree to come see him.
>
> .Just got the report in today's mail.  Here are the actual numbers (reference ranges in parentheses)
>
> Total Cholesterol: 229 (100-199)
> HDL: 113 (greater than 39)
> LDL (calculated): 107 (0-99)
> VLDL (calculated): 9 (5-40)
> Triglycerides: 46 (0-149)
>
> Um, I'm not going in.  Two numbers stand out.  My calculated VLDL is 9 (a simple formula of one fifth of triglycerides) and they want you over 5 and under 40.  And I think I'm in range for triglycerides.
>
> He just looked at total cholesterol and calculated LDL and flagged me.
>
> Not worried.
>
> Jim

Other than the expense of an office visit, why not go in?  It's another education opportunity, which you have already mentioned he is open to.

Your ratio is good.  Both the total and the calculated LDL are outside the reference range.  He might be concerned about either one.  On the other hand, he may be surprised that they aren't much higher, if he has the "conventional wisdom" opinion of a high fat diet.   Did *he* say he "flagged" you because of the total, or are you just assuming that?

--
  Robert Kesterson