From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:47:11 +0100
Jean-Claude writes:
>>...  Also, this doesnt account for carrion.  Some 'experts'
>>believe that humans were largely scavangers.

>I have a reference for this ,  that the taste of raw fresh kill is very
>unappealling, but the flavor becomes very attractive as it is aged
>That sounds a good indication of  the scavenging theory.
>An other ones is that it is easy to get carcasses, easy to obtain meat

from
>it without tools, (the meat become not so tight and comes easy from the
>bones and membranes
Fine who feels so.
To me, personally unappealing is the least
what i'd call any "piece" of animal - may it be aged or not.
But what you say... sounds agreeable.

Annother idea to carrion:
There is (IMO) a feeling in us, which wants to prevent us from
*killing* animals. And who does so, hunters, mostly prefer to
kill from the distance with a rifle or arrow (falcon?).

Matches better as a remainder from a carrion eating time
than from hunting times.

Hans Kylberg wrote:

>And with the help of stones heavy bones and sculls can be cracked open
>to get at marrow and brains, and that may be what is left after the
>lions are ready with the carcass. And that makes for a fatty diet...
True.
And for a fancy dress of leather. Humans are born naked.
Marrow (and brain?) is used to prepare leather from animal skins.
Cracking bones open could be the need to prepare leather too.
(that's the way i use the animal remainders too)

Ben Balzer wrote:
>Think you'll find they (ie the experts) say that about our prehuman
>ancestors. humans are the most feared carnivore of all- and have wiped
out
>most of the world's megafauna- and continue to do so to smaller critters
>now.
>Ben
And today we are too... the most feared killer... of all sort of animals..
But the killed megafauna...
hmm gnu's and zebra still run away successfully.
I find the POV (of Jared Diamon) acceptable that it was the animals
who *didn't* fear humans, which died out.

regards
Amadeus S.
(momentarily preferring some almonds and lettuce for lunch
over the carrion offered in the restaurant below)

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net