From:
"M.E. C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:04:09 EDT
Charles and anyone interested....

I have been doing a little research on these pods and have found out that you
should grind the whole pod and preferably discard the seeds. The seeds are
bitter but do have protein. The seed is very hard and difficult to grind.
These pods were an ancient food source now being rediscovered. I read that
the native Americans ground them in stone bowls. These bushes/trees have been
around for a very long time and I read that they also grow in
Africa/Australia among other places.
Since I have a huge supply in my yard,I am interested in using them in some
way.
I just came in from outside with a big pan full. They are very sweet tasting
inside...very reminiscent of honey/brown sugar. I imagine you could just eat
'em as is without grinding. My dogs ate the ones that fell from my pan.

Mary C.
San Antonio