From:
judy genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:50:36 EDT
I was not able to access Philip's link about well treated animals not
feeling as much pain at slaughter.  But I wanted to add, that in the
Jewish
traditions of butchering meat, the shochat (butcher) MUST have the
sharpest
knives at his disposal.  The swiftness of the cut to the jugular, and
the
finess of his blade are what separates a good butcher from a crude
operator.
   Additionally, the humane way an animal is butchered is foremost in
our
tradition.  This is one reason why it is forbidden to eat for example,
lobster - they die a painful death when they are plunged into boiling
water
while still alive.  We are commanded not to eat any animals who must
undergo
suffering in order to feed us.  I guess that is why you don't find too
many
observant Jewish hunters.  Unless they could cut the jugular of their
captured deer, they are forbidden to take the animal's life by way of
painful bullet or spear.  Yet, it is interesting, that deer are
considered
kosher.  I wonder if they were captured by traps in the old days, and
then
butchered according to halachic (according to Torah) law....

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl