From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:36:12 -0700
>>the KUng people of Kalahari desert eat once a day and certainly not in the
>>morning, because they have to earn their meal first..
>>i learned too , that they sleep their head , 30 cm off the ground,
>>supported in one hand  , elbow burried in the sand to keep the balance
>>Jean-claude
>
>Any explanation in your movie on why (and how?? do they sleep that way?

> Nancy

Ingrid answering (I saw the movie with Jean-Claude):

The movie was "Animals are Beautiful People" 1974, by Mimosa Films on Warner
Home Video, primarily about unusual habits of certain animals, filmed in
Africa over four years.

There was a short wonderful section of footage on the !Kung. The scenes of
them storytelling and mimicing the wild animals was fabulous.

There were several shots of people sleeping in this unusual position: sort
of on their sides, with elbow rammed into the sand (as though leaning on
elbow), their heads resting on their shoulders. It was a position we might
assume lying beside someone and propped up on our elbow to look at or talk
to them. Except that their heads were hanging slightly and they were fast
asleep!! The footage showed several people including an older child and a
mother who was sleeping like this with her arm on the ground and her baby
sleeping with it's head on her forearm (I think). It was quite amazing!
The reason given in the film was vague, something like "because of the
creepers and crawlers".

ingrid