From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:35:24 -0700
I've been on a sort of PaleoAtkins diet for two months now, and after
losing about 20-25 pounds very quickly my weight stabilized and I
haven't
lost much, if any, for the last six weeks.

I've stuck pretty closely to the guidelines, eating eggs, beef, bison,
chicken, fish, and turkey and the Generally Recognized As Paleo (GRAP)
vegetables - spinach, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower.
No
sugar, starches, or fruit whatever, except for a little - very little
-
dried fruit in the first week, which clearly caused an insulin release
(probably from the &*@#! sugar syrup it was cured with).

The non-Paleo intake over this period has been coffee with about 1/4
cup of
half and half per day, several tablespoons of commercial ranch
dressing on
salads when we go out once a week, and about a can of Diet Coke per
day, on
the average.

On the positive side I wanted to thank the list members who spoke up
for
the Excalibur dehydrator. I got one last week and quickly dried about
five
pounds of bison into jerky. The butchers did a marginal job on the
thickness of the bison slices, with some pieces up to a half-inch
thick in
places, but I just left it in overnight and it dried perfectly. I was
expecting the apartment to fill with hot air and drying bison smells,
but
this didn't happen either. A fine product; I'm looking forward to
drying
fruits myself without added sugars and drying vegetables for snacking.
Thanks again for your advice.

Mike