From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:05:04 -0700
At 09:24 AM 3/6/01 -0500, siobhan wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Have we ever discussed how people feel when thy eat meat rare...med...well?
>Also, how about meat that is cooked at temperatures under 325 degrees?  Has
>anyone tried comparing these things?

I have actually been playing with these thoughts myself lately.  So far, I
find that rare cooked meat (preferably lightly cooked over a lower temp,
not seared over a high one, btw) sits most easily.  Meat cooked at lower
temps (I tend to go for 225-250, actually), are nearly as comfortable, even
when well done.

Medium and well done cooked at higher temps do sit like lumps, as does well
done microwaved, unless the amount is really small (like bacon).

Ironically, I am finding that by pure comfort levels, I'm tending towards
slow roasting and stewing!  Good thing, since lately it's been whole
chickens and pot-roast type beef that's been on sale.

I can *rarely* afford free range or even organic type meats (they're either
3 - 4 times the price, or you have to buy in huge quantities that my little
freezer just can't hold), but when I have had them, they feel comfortable
eaten raw--if not eaten cold.  But then, maybe I chew it more?  Sashimi
style fish also sit well.

A non-controlled study of one, but it's what I've found so far.

Dianne