From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:27:53 -1000
Fredrick:
 > When I'm at the supermarket and see healthy looking people, both young and
 > old, buying things I now regard as junk, I sometimes, for a moment, loose
 > faith in paleo, but then I remember my healthy looking friend and what
 > happened to him.

In my time I have met a couple dozen raw paleo (instincto even) folks. I
would say that, on the whole they look pretty "normal". _None_ have been
inspirationally robust or exuding an aura of fantastic health. Some of them
have come down with serious medical problems that have required standard
medical treatment. Some have died of the "diseases of civilization".  Some
have miscarriages. Some go bald. And so on. Of course, these instances are
explained away quite easily if one ignores enough information. Many remain
free from afflictions (or so they report).

If you find nutritional faith in one instance of your healthy-looking friend
dying, what do you say when paleo folks, even raw ones, do not get the
desired results?

 > I truly hope this paleothing will save me from such a terrible endning and
 > other similar endings I've seen in my life. I want to die a natural death,
 > but don't really know what I mean by that. All I know is that it's
 > something better.

Dying in your sleep? Fasting to death? A fear of a "terrible ending" might
provide motivation to incur some sort of self-sacrifice in terms of diet
and/or lifestyle, but mightn't you admit that your friend had a high-quality
life, albeit shorter than you would have liked?

Cheers,
Kirt