From:
Gawen Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:02:09 EDT
Thanx for the post.  It was the first laugh I had today.
-Gawen

In a message dated 7/6/2000 4:00:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Veggie-man,

 (My additions are in quotes and inserted to help people understand your
 points)

 >I doubt the points "primary part" or "staple".
 >While "meat" was present "in the early human diet" (no doubt about it), it
 >just isn't interesting
 >in the overal nutritional paleo picture, in my point of view.

 Dr. Loren Cordain's research has shown that the hunter/gatherer diet
 consisted of approximately 65% animal, 35% plant.  That much flesh food is
 far beyond interesting to me.  Did you do well in math? ;)

 >Nutritionally speaking:
 >Nothing is wrong about the wild game and crystal trout. Point. underline.
 >
 >Nutritionally speaking:
 >Increasing the percentage of this game (beyond estimating 10%)
 >is useless and doesn't make, and made not, sense as long as enough plant
 >sources are available. Because of the shortage in food energy.

 Don't even get me started.

 >Practically speaking:
 >The count of humans able to live on *this*, is small enough to
 >be forgotten at once. You just can't do it.

 What, the count of humans able to live on more than 10% meat?  You're
 kidding, right?  Right out of college, during my early days in radio news, I
 ate about that much meat.  It was all I could afford.  This was also when I
 gained the most weight and learned what it's like to be manic/depressive.  I
 was eating plants aplenty and had barely enough energy to tie my shoes!  My
 life was a living hell.  Since eating lots-o-meat and leafy-green
 vegetables, I've;

 a) lost major poundage and achieved f*ckability, if I do say so myself;
 b) regulated my menstrual cycles;
 c) ended my insomnia;
 d) noticed major improvements in my mental health, energy and thinkin'
 skills;
 e) taken my blood pressure from 180/90 to 100/70 and achieved a 2:1 LDL/HDL
 cholesterol ratio;
 f) gone from 2 colds and/or flus per winter to 2 minor colds (tw days of the
 sniffles) over the course of 2 1/2 years;
 g) and so forth and so on.

 If I'd eat what you think is a nifty, healthy diet, I'd be a fat, moody,
 cantakerous nag popping Prozac and, eventually, shooting insulin.  If, that
 is, I lived long enough to develop diabetes.  A fatal heart attack may have
 come first.  You'd have to roll me in flour and go for the wet spot if you
 felt like doin' the nasty with me, which you probably wouldn't, 'cuz I'd be
 pushing 300 pounds and my self-image would be non-existant.  Weight loss and
 general health improvements are nothing compared to some of the miracles
 other list members have enjoyed.

 Clearly, I've gone too far in stating my case.  So, just the facts.  Humans
 are meant to eat only foods that can be eaten raw.  To think anything else
 is just plain wrong.  Can you live on wheat, tofu and potatoes.  Yes.  Can
 you achieve ideal health on these foodstuffs?  No.  Will you see all sorts
 of problems?  More than likely.  MUCH more than likely.

 >Most time, you eat your artificially fattened cattle with all its dangers
 >and only *think* of the deer and trout. You switch over to a meat/fat style
 >nutrition like in paleo-arctis. And don't recognise, that such
 >a artificiall obese pig or cattle is far from approaching the
 >quality of a walrus or a whale in fat quality.

 And there are tribes that live on walruses and whales and they're healthier
 than your average American.  Catch the clue!

 I agree with Wally B., who put it far better than I ever will; if it's for
 spiritual/religious reasons, to each his own.  But if someone believes on
 the intellectual level that the vegetarian diet is healthier than the early
 human diet or today's equivalent, he's so full of it his eyes are brown.

 I'm not mad at you, Amadeus, but I'm bewildered and frustrated beyond words.

 Dori Zook
 Denver, CO