From:
Juliann Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:53:44 EDT
HI
I have been lurking for about 3 weeks now and wanted to say hello. I am
really enjoying this list.

My interest in the paleo diet is very recent and is fueled by my desire to
figure out what is going on with my husband's family. My husband's father,
uncle, and aunt have dermatitis herpetiformis (like celiac - gluten
intolerance). My husband's sister was just diagnosed with MS (she also has
severe depression and thyroid disease) , my husband was just diagnosed with a
b-12 deficiency (but they cannot locate the cause), my sons and niece have
short stature (off the growth charts short), and one of my sons has
hyperactivity and a rare blood disorder called cyclic neutropenia.

I stumbled across the Beyond Vegetarianism  web site and was just blown away
with what I read (www.beyondveg.com).  I then read Neanderthin.

I am wondering if there are any other good sources, books or web sites, that
go into great detail on the theory? I want to keep on reading as much as I
can. Also, can anyone point me toward info linking modern diets with the
diseases I mentioned - I am particularly interested in getting info to my
sister in law on diet and MS and depression.

I am also wondering whether anyone here has any views on whether allergy
testing (by ELISA/EIA)  is accurate or helpful in determining intolerance to
modern foods.

Also, I am a little confused about whether you can eat potatoes on the diet.
I know that Neanderthin says they are not good because they are not eaten in
the wild -  but is there a split of opinion on this -- i.e., do some say that
potatoes are ok because we have eaten cooked potatoes long enough to adapt to
them?

Thanks so much!

Juliann