From:
Phil Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:42:54 -0500
Dear Remaining List Members:

I had been keeping this idea on the back burner, but now that everyone
seems to be dropping like flies from this support list, I  figure I
better share it now.  By next week, at this rate, I'd be talking to just
Todd, or the Twins. .....

So, here it goes -

When I was into the macrobiotic movement, the highlight of our lives
seemed to be the annual Macrobiotic Summer Conference (you can probably
guess how boring the lives of grain eaters was!).  Held in August, it
was a 5 day affair, which brought in folks (usually around 1,000
participants) from all over the world.  This conference was a great
vehicle to attract newbies, oldies and just about anyone interested in
sampling the food, shopping at the "gift shop" and sitting in on some
pretty interesting lectures and cooking classes.  It was also a great
forum for those with an entrepeneurial spirit to make a killing on
everything from cookware to T-shirts with stupid slogans (Grains for
Brains, Rice is Nice - you get the idea).

Many mainstream speakers as well as alternative health gurus would do
presentations and participate in some heated debates on a variety of
health and philosophical topics.  One year, I even got to meet The Dr.
Spock, the legendary baby doctor , who at age 89 turned onto grains and
beans. But even better, I met my friend Rachel Matesz, a fellow paleo
list member, and we've been friends ever since - 10 years, now!

These camps were always held in university or college settings, thereby
allowing families or individuals to have their own dorm beds to sleep on
or for the more adventurous, (or cheaper) lawns where we could pitch our
tents.  Additionally, we would have access to the large cooking
facilities, dining halls, swimming pools, tennis courts, snack bars,
dance floors, etc.  We provided the catering and cooking crews,  and
literally took the place over for the week. Those participants who
couldn't afford the full price for the camp, could earn work credit by
doing food prep or working in the daycamp for kiddies (which allowed the
parents freedom to enjoy the many activities).  Concurrent lectures,
demonstrations and cooking classes were easily facilitated by the many
halls and multi purpose rooms available.

Well, you can probably guess where I'm going with this.  Has anyone ever
tried to put together a Paleo Gathering?  Even if we are all rubbing
each other the wrong way on this list, it still might be fun to have an
annual pow wow, and get to meet the faces behind all these great posts.
It might also be a vehicle to attract more people into Paleo, which
would only help all of us.  Perhaps having guest speakers (Ray Audette,
Cordain, Eades) would be a magnet for bringing in more participants.   I
am sure I will be told I am naive, and how much money all this would
cost to put together, but  you know the saying - a journey of a thousand
miles begins with one step (or something like that, so hey, don't quote
me).

Would those of you who are interested, please post to the list with some
ideas you might have on how to begin this journey?  If  Ray is out
there, could he comment on whether he thinks this is a viable idea, and
if he would be willing to participate.  I know it probably all boils
down to $$$$$, but I'll tell you, I sure saw tons of books flying into
folks' shopping bags at the last macro camp.....

Cheers!

Judy Genova, cavegirl newbie who won't quit the list even if you tell me
this idea
stinks!!!!!!!!!!!