From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:32:00 -0500
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:59:10 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I intend to ask the experts on the Paleodiet Symposium about
>this, since caribou are allegedly quite lean.  Where were they
>getting enough fat from?

I'd be looking forward to hear about the answer.

I've also wondered about this, since there are "caribou" inland inuit,
and caribou meat is listed to be very lean at USDA.

My suggestion is, that USDA lists only the meat (muscles).
Wild game muscles aren't "marbled" like cows,
they carry their fat elswhere.
E.g. under the skin, to provide insulation against the cold weather.

Such northern animals *should* have fat, because of uncertain food supply
and for insulation.

Cheers, Amadeus
(who would indeed be a bad hunter...
i wasn't able to kill a house mouse these days
more the gathering type - and not made for the arctis)