From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:19:08 -0500
On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> > Remember, in a non-diabetic,
> > protein stimulates nearly as much insulin release as
> > carbohydrate, so there is always enough insulin available to
> > signal cells to store fat.
> >
> > Todd Moody
>
> Wrong. From Westphal et al., Metabolic response to glucose ingested with
> various amounts of protein, Am J Clin Nutr 1990 (62):267-272,
>
> 50 grams of protein produce about 4 times less insulin production than 50 grams
> of carbohydrate. When you eat 40 grams of protein with 50 grams carbohydrate,
> the insulin production is about the same than with 50 grams carbohydrate alone,
> but more glucagon is released.

I'll need to do some digging on this one.  It seems to me that
Westphal's results, which are the basis of Sears' Zone ratios,
are considered controversial.  But my main point is that a
low-carb diet is not a diet that is so low in insulin that fat
storage becomes impossible.  I certainly don't quarrel with the
premise that low-carb eating helps to minimize insulin
production, and this is generally a good thing.  But to minimize
insulin production does not mean to reduce it to zero, which is
of course *not* a good thing.  As long as some insulin is
present, fat storage can take place, even if the low insulin
levels make one somewhat more resistant to the process.

Todd Moody