From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:41:13 EST
<< > On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

>>> Some of us just "want" too much.
>>
>> What do you think is the reason that some want too much?

Todd:
> Good question.

In a message dated 3/14/02 6:27:34 AM, Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask] writes:

I hate to throw another variable into this thread, but it does integrate
another thread. ;) Todd, were you you breastfed? I wasn't and find eating my
fill is overeating as well.

There are many studies correlating obesity in folks with the inverse of
length of time being breastfed. In other words, the longer a child is
breastfed the less chance of obesity (which likely correlates with
overeating, and perhaps other related metabolic results).

Cheers,
Kirt

Just some "useless" anecdotal evidence:

I have 2 sons. The first was heavily breastfed for 17 months. He is now 23,
has always been thin, likes food as much as anyone else, but doesn't have "an
issue" with it. He stops eating when he's full, even if there's a single pea
left on his plate. He doesn't eat if he's not hungry, just because there's
good food around. These are not conscious decisions on his part; it's just
the way he is naturally.

Son number 2, now 20, was breastfed until 2 years old. He was even more
extensively nursed, on demand, and thrived beautifully. Nevertheless, he is
the one who has had a lifelong obsession with food, and a battle with weight,
as I do. I was not breastfed, so always blamed my mother for that.

I am a very strong advocate for breastfeeding, and wish I'd done it even
longer, even though a sample of 2 proves nothing.

Incidentally, both boys have such beautiful teeth, they could be models for
toothpaste!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY