From:
Joe Smolinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 15:33:24 -0400
>>>Recently I have been speaking with and have hired a nutritionist that
works with body builders.  He believes that he can design a new way of
eating that is fairly low carb but not ketogenic that will shed the rest of
my body fat and get me down to 7%
BF. <<<

There are 2 diets that many BBers have used.  "The Anabolic Diet" by Dr.
Mauro DiPasquale and "BodyOpus" by Dan Duchaine.  Both are cyclical
Ketogenic diets.  They both are very low or no carbs Monday thru Friday,
then they have a carb loading weekend (glycogen supercompensation).

I've toyed with the "Anabolic Diet" approach, but without much luck.
Allegedly, the first part of the week (Monday, Tuesday) you have all kinds
of energy, then begin to slow down toward the end of the week.  Your
heaviest, hardest workouts should be toward the beginning of the week.

Allegedly, the insulin spike helps to promote the release of your natural
human growth hormone, but that spike is what bothers me the most.  I prefer
to keep a consistant approach and keep the insulin level stable.

What is interesting about this approach is that one can argue that it is
consistant with the lifestyle of the HG.  Before a hunt, the HG may consume
anything and all he/she can gather - predominately carbos.  The "workout" is
the hunt - the stalking, the killing and the butchering and finally, the
ultimate excercise - carrying the leftover food to the rest of the clan.
Once the kill is made, the diet becomes predominately meat, once the The
meat gets depleted, the cycle repeats.  The thought that the HG ate a
"balanced" diet is ludicrous.  You can argue the percentages of P/F/C that
the HG consumed, but it was probably very cyclical - 100% meat after the
kill, some sort of combination toward the end of the meat supply, then 100%
carbos right before the next kill.

With that said, I tend to stick to a low carb approach, and when I add
carbos, I try to do it with a PaleoDiet in mind.  I seem to have plenty of
energy for my 6 lifting days each week.