From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:31:32 -0500
I love tea, but have given it up for two reasons. One is that I wanted
to get away from caffeine dependency, which may be less of a problem
with tea than with coffee--although I know people who have one cup of
coffee a day and other people who have eight cups of tea (like I used to
do!). The other reason is that the tea plant is a fluoride accumulator.
If there is fluoride in the soil, tea picks it up and puts rather high
levels of it in the leaves. Fluoride is very poisonous. It damages your
bones and your thyroid, among other things. If there is fluoride
naturally occurring in the soil where tea is grown it will pick it up.
Since fluoride is included in many non-organic agricultural chemicals it
seems reasonable to assume that organic tea would tend to have less
fluoride than conventionally-grown tea.

That all said, the tea merchant I would recommend most highly is Upton
Tea Imports in Hopkinton, Mass. Excellent selection from all over the
world, wide range of prices, and some organic teas.
www.uptontea.com