From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:21:20 -0500
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, EJCDC wrote:

> In a message dated 1/3/98 4:00:31 PM, Todd wrote:
>
> >Remember that Atkins now concedes that
> >about a third of his patients experience worsening of blood
> >lipids on his diet, which is nothing like SAD.
>
> Todd:  Where did you get this information?  I subscribe to Atkins' newsletter
> and listen to his radio show frequently, and I've never heard him state this.

On page 180 of _Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution_ he writes, "I
admit that there are individuals who are fat-sensitive and will
develop a less favorable cholesterol level on a high-fat diet
than on a low-fat diet.  Intensive study of medical reports
strongly suggests that fewer than one person in three falls into
this category."

Of course, the term "fat-sensitive" is simply Atkins' coinage to
refer to those people who don't do well on the diet; I don't
think there is any underlying theory.

> If he states that lipid profiles worsen in 1/3 of cases, do they improve in
> the other 2/3?  What I've heard Atkins state is that some individuals will see
> a rise in their total cholesterol (TC) in the first several weeks on his diet.
> Most of this increase is usually associated with higher HDL levels.  Also, any
> TC increase is usually countered by large decreases in triglycerides.  The
> most important risk factor for heart disease is the ratio of triglycerides to
> HDL (see Circulation 10/21/97 and JAMA, vol.276, p.882, 1996).

The trouble is that some people's HDL level is very difficult to
budge.  In my case, for instance, a high-fat diet only raised it
from 32 to 35, which is considered just barely acceptable.  I
don't know what my HDL count is now.

> Atkins breaks down causes of heart disease as follows:
>                 15% genetic cholesterol metabolism problem
>                 15% elevated homocysteine levels
>                 10% elevated Lipoprotein(a) and fibrinigen levels
>                 50-60% insulin related disorder

I don't have a reference, but I seem to recall reading that
Lipoprotein(a) levels also have a strong genetic component.

> Atkins says diagnose the CAUSE of the problem first, then prescribe the
> appropriate diet.  DON'T automatically blame FAT.  DON'T place everyone on the
> same low fat diet as the medical establishment and Heart Association
> recommends.

I certainly agree with this.

Todd Moody