From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:45:26 -0600
[Ron] Do you avoid fruits because today's fruits are likely more glycemic than pre-agricultural fruits? And what about vegetables? Do you avoid potatoes because they were not available to Europeans until about 500 years ago? And what about all the other vegetables that were not available to Europeans until recently?  And what about meats?  Do you avoid today's meats because they do not reflect the fat content of pre-agricultural game?

There is so much room within which one can operate while still being paleo, that I still don’t get the "one size fits all” concern.  But there’s base paleo, a realm within which *everyone* can operate healthily.  And then there are borderline foods, such as new world foods— or even those right over the border into non-paleo land such as coffee or dairy or chocolate— which you consume at your own risk.

But, since you asked, here are my personal answers to your question above.

It seems to me a very strong argument can be made that concentrated sources of sugar, whether starch or honey or fruit, were not a dietary staple for humans over the long course of our history.  Low glycemic fruits?  Sure, in season.  So, I avoid most fruit.  Berries in season.  The odd pear here and there.  Not much else.

Vegetables.  I sometimes will crave green and leafy vegetables and will eat my fill.  Otherwise, I have very little interest, whether old world or new.

Potatoes never.  Not only are they nearly 100% carbohydrate, but they are poisonous.  Not even remotely arguably paleo, in my opinion.

True wild game (i.e. not that deer that consumes corn from the feeder) is preferable to grass fed is preferable to organic is preferable to store bought meat.  There is just so much grassfed meat available now — even in my local standard grocery store — that I am now consuming it 80% of the time.   Eggs have improved too.

I’ve never had fat from wild game.  It’s always so lean.  My main source of fat is from grass fed beef and lamb.  And, while of a lesser quality, from uncured bacon grease.

Does that help at all?

Jim