Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:59:44 -0400
In reference to these posts:
>Can anyone recommend a good  brand of cod liver oil?

>>A lot easier is just to take "Fish Oil" capsules (aka "Omega 3" capsules or
"EPA" capsules).

Ken Stuart said:
You can overdose on both Vit. A and Vit. D by taking enough cod liver oil to
get
enough EPA to counteract years of SAD diet (cf  Udo Erasmus' book).

I respect some of what Udo Erasmus says, but not all of it.  That part about
overdosing on vitamins A & D by taking enough cod liver oil to get enough
EPA is a pile of HOT STEAMING CORN GRITS, if you ask me.  I've been using
cod liver oil daily for several years with no adverse effects.  I have many
friends and cooking students who also take it daily without any signs of
overdosing.

If you look at some posts from the past month on vitamin D (on this list),
you will see that there is research indicating that the RDA for Vitamin D
may be far too low.  I'll refresh your memory:

><<  According to Reinhold Vieth, a researcher, Univ. of
> Toronto, adults may need at minimum five times the RDA or 1,000 I.U. of
> vitamin D per day to protect against cancers, bone fractures, and to derive
> other broad range health benefits. ( May 1999, Am  J Clin Nutr) >>

Although I eat fish 3-6x per week, it is often white meat fish (more
economical).  It costs less to eat white meat fish or poultry daily and put
cod liver oil on the fish or on my cooked greens or salad than it costs to
eat salmon or similar oily (and very expensive fish) daily.  It is also
becoming harder to find good wild samon at a decent price, much as I (and my
husband) enjoy salmon.  We enjoy white meat fish, so we eat that a lot (in
addition to other meats, poultry, etc.)

With regard to another post on the issue of supplementation (Snowlight's
post, I think!), I consider cod liver oil a *whole food* supplement.  It's
not a pill and it's not a prefab food. Sure, I could eat sardines, but since
they come in a can, I find the less than fresh taste less than appealing for
daily use.  (My husband feels the same way!)  For that reason, we can't rely
on sardines for our daily EPA and DHA.  Modern eggs are not a good source,
nor is modern poultry or beef.  (We don't hunt so we rarely get Venison!!!)
We also want to get enough vitamins A & D.  There are many benefits to these
nutrients and we don't have access to as many organ meats as our Paleo
predecessors did.  Frandly, we'd rather take cod liver oil than a vitamin
pill.  (We take a mineral supplement because of the decline in the mineral
content of our food supply...)

Cheers,

Rachel