From:
"M.E. Craddock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:03:19 EST
In a message dated 2/10/2001 7:39:47 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyone know the actual nutritional content of pork rinds?  Thanks.

Years ago I used to work at a major snack foods plant, and they cooked
porkrinds in melted hydrogenated soybean oil, not lard. They use the oil over
and over again...they test it for oil breakdown and when it reaches low level
of fatty acids ( I guess...not sure) they just add more melted soybean oil to
the old stuff.

If you can find locally made porkrinds that are cooked lard...well, they'd be
better.
The commercial name brand ones may not be as desirable.
My information is from about 15 years ago...but I don't think their processes
have changed much, if any.