From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:12:18 -0500
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:42:39 +0100, Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Adrienne,
>
>You have to remember that broccoli is not a staple food in any society,
>and even if eaten raw would probably not pose a serious health threat
>due to the small amount of it that would be consumed.  But this is not
>relevant, since we do cook broccoli and cooking it *improves* it from a
>health perspective, whereas cooking a potato makes the potato worse.
>All the nutrients in potatoes can be found in other vegetables, without
>the huge sugar load on the blood.
>
>Ashley

Which kind of potato are you talking about? -- there are many many
varieties of tubers -- plenty with less carbs than many fruits.  Also, what
kind of cooking are you talking about?  Long duration of baking as in baked
potato or lightly steaming?  Anyway, we can go round and round til the cows
come home on this.  I understand that some people believe all tubers are
not paleo and therefore even a low carb potato shouldn't be eaten by
humans. I disagree because I'm not certain what kind of tubers were
available in paleo times but I agree that large amounts of starchy tubers
should never the primary staple in one's diet. That's why I like the idea
of a low-carb potato.  I consider some (not all) genetic modification and
hybridization of foods positive advancement ie the orange cauliflower or
purple carrots mentioned in the link below.  Those that disagree have the
choice not to buy them.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0625_040625_designervegetabl
es.html