From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:34:59 EST
 I used a site that calculates BMI and caloric needs.  I supposedly need
around 1900 calories to maintain my weight.  Since I am not working at the
moment and thus have been more sedentary  given that I do not have to walk to
and from the subway etc., I figured that this number could be dropped to
around 1700.  The sustained daily hour of exercise on treadmill should burn
around 200-300 calories (I walk at a pace of 3.6-4.0, with hills and
sometimes interspersing sprints).  I have also added in some weight training.
 The idea of the sustained daily hour of exercise was to improve insulin
sensitivity as well as burn some calories.  I thought that this was
sufficient to create enough of a calorie deficit for some weight loss.  I
just don't understand why my body isn't responding the way it used to (I know
, I know -- I'm getting older.)   My carbs are around 12% of total calories
with fat making up the bulk of my calories along with moderate protein.  I
will try anything at this point. I understand that I need to create a calorie
deficit, but am concerned about trying to drop calories too low because it
could slow my metabolism.  Also, I just do not believe that very low calorie
diets are sustainable in the long run.  That is why I made the effort to
exercise more.