From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:19:10 -0500

Todd wrote:
> >  I seem to be able to eat very large amounts
> > of fatty protein sources without hitting satiety.
> >
> > I can eat lots of this stuff, and
> > if I do, of course I gain weight.

Question:  Is this why I couldn't do Atkins?  I tried twice, and besides
feeling awful, I had quite a lot of gnawing hunger at times and very little
to no weight loss other than the initial water dump.  In light of what I've
discovered since being on a merged Audette-Cordain version of Paleo it may
have had to do with the increased amounts of dairy I was trying to consume,
rather than the amounts of fatty meat.  BTW, Protein Power was better, but I
still had bouts of not feeling really satisfied and/or hungry.  In the 4
weeks I've been on Paleo, it's been far and away the best of all.  I feel
really good and am not hungry.  Ironically, Paleo is closer to the way I had
been eating before attempting the other two diets.

Lynnet wrote:
> How interesting.  I get filled up on fatty protein sources, and they keep
> me going a long time.

I can eat more rib steak (and certainly enjoy it more) than dry chicken
breast.  I'm going to try to pay more attention to energy levels following
comparable amounts of ounces ingested.

I can eat one grape, or none.  Berries I can't stop
> eating, such as blueberries; all nuts, all dried fruits, and lots of
nonpaleo
> stuff such as
> corn chips, chocolate, taffy, rice cakes. etc.  I

I have to be careful with fruit and nuts, too.  It's weird, though, that
since going Paleo, smaller amounts of fruit seem to satisfy more and don't
seem to stimulate me to overeat them or cause rebound hunger and cravings
afterward.

I have always loved nuts and can eat them by the handfuls, plural.  They're
still hard for me to limit, but since I need to lose between 8 to 21 pounds
of fat to be in the range the Eades recommend, I try to limit myself some.
(And since I'm an apple-shaped woman instead of a pear-shaped one, I think
losing fat is cardiovascularly very important.)  And something else weird
about nuts is that in the past I've always experienced a slight acne break
out when I would eat them, but since being on Paleo and even eating some
every day I've not had a single zit.  Go figure.

Corn chips (especially Fritos that I love) I can't touch and simply won't
because I go stark raving mad out of control if I put a single one in my
mouth.  God help me when one of the men I live with brings a bag into the
house and I have to stare at it, telling myself,  "No, no, no, no.........."
Cornbread has a similar stranglehold, but corn on the cob, etc., doesn't
seem to.  Back in 1986 I was tested for food allergies and turned up
positive on corn.   I also tested positive for tomatoes back then but can
eat them now with no problem.  The dr. told me that food allergies can shift
and change over time.  I did not test positive for wheat but in the last two
years of tinkering with diet I've become firmly convinced that I've had a
lifelong allergy to it.  --Or lack of evolutionary adaptation.  :-)

Chocolate's never really had a hold on me, though I do really like the good
European chocolates, especially the dark.  If I take a bite of chocolate
candy, I'll take several more and want more.  But I think it's the sugar and
not the chocolate that causes that.  As you know, chocolate has been touted
in the last year as the new health food.  A few months ago I saw a site on
which a woman said she had started eating a small amount of unsweetened
chocolate every day.  I bought a bar and tried it a few times, letting the
bitter chocolate slowly melt in my mouth.  It really wasn't onjectionable at
all but kind of an interesting intense flavor, I thought.   I did notice
that I didn't have any cravings for more, so that's why I think it's the
sugar in choco that stimulates cravings.

Theola