Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:52:49 -0500
It looks like there's quite a range of opinion on olive and flaxseed oils.
Ginny, Carrie and I use olive oil, Cordain and Enig say it's OK in
moderation, whereas Mercola advises against using it at all. I do know
that the omega 6/3 ratio is not great in olive oil, and that the fat from
pasture-fed meats and flaxseed oil have better ratios (along with fish
oil, but who's going to use fish oil as a cooking fat on meats and
vegetables? :-) ), but I do use olive oil (in moderation) along with
animal fats in cooking and use flaxseed oil in cold dishes like salads
(but don't cook with it). Whereas Mrs. Centa also uses flaxseed oil in
cooking and Ginny doesn't consume it at all. So we have quite a bit of
diversity on flaxseed right here in this forum.

I do a lot of cooking without using any added cooking fat beyond what's
already in the meat or fish--and people even comment on how strange it is
that I use so little added cooking oils or fats beyond what's already in
the meat. When using olive oil, I've been using the more stable light
olive oil for cooking and extra virgin mixed with flaxseed oil (or
straight flaxseed oil) for cold dishes. I know that cold light olive oil
has a less healthy profile than cold extra virgin olive oil, but I figure
it's safer to cook with the more stable oil. I haven't researched olive
oil much. If it turns out to be safe and effective, that new Nikken
cookware might reduce concerns about free radicals in cooking oils--thanks
for the tip, Ginny. Here is a link I found on it:
http://nikken.com/newproductshome/default.asp?
category=cookware&section=technology.

I occasionally use canola oil, but I'm not here to defend or promote
something I am ambivalent about and rarely even use (I didn't use to use
it at all, but am less of a purist than I used to be :) ). Besides, Todd
Moody has made better arguments in defense of canola oil in this forum
than I ever could and he doesn't even use it at all! :) I merely guessed
that someone might have used it because it has been mentioned in this
forum quite a bit, it is in The Paleo Diet book, and I didn't really think
much about it before I wrote my question. It sure stirred up some
interesting discussions though, which may be for the good, because the
number of posts has been dwindling.