From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 05:24:50 -0600
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:13:55 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yup, the article confirms what Dr. Eades said:
>
> <<... leading some microbiologists to suggest that it arose inindustrial
> livestock, which are force-fed grain and pumped with antibiotics.
>
> "The strain that caused September's spinach outbreak, which killed three
> and sickened about 200, has been found in cattle feces near a California
> spinach field and in wild pigs that roamed through it.>>
>
> Regardless of what specific food was contaminated by the e. coli, whether
> green onions or something else, we know that this virulent strain of e
> coli has only been found in livestock that are fed grain.

Not according to the article (unless someone is feeding grain to the wild
pigs).

> Returning to feeding livestock on pasture and hay is the solution.

Don't you think it might have more to do with the concentrated number of
anmals in a small area and the dosing with antibiotics?  If you have 500
animals crowded into a pen the size of a football field, there will be
problems that just won't be the same if those same animals are in a 500
acre pasture, regardless of what they're eeating.  Returning the cattle to
pasture feeding probably would solve the problem, but maybe not for the
reasons you think.

--
   Robert Kesterson