Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:09:36 -0600
Adam wrote:
<The broadcast is probably a British one in the form of a wildlife
documentary and you need to be wary that it does paint Neanderthals as
significantly less intelligent. It is clearly based on general perceptions
of Neanderthals and not on recent anthropological opinion. Mind you it is
still interesting to watch, just view it as a fictional tale.>

Hi Adam,

NOVA is a USA produced program by WGBH in Boston. I think this is a new
Neanderthal program. It first aired on November 13, 2001.

Here is a link to the NOVA Neanderthal website:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neanderthals/

Here is the program description:

NEANDERTHALS ON TRIAL
Series:  NOVA
Are Neanderthals our ancestors? NOVA explores controversial evidence that
the genes of these extinct hominids are mixed with our own, on Neanderthals
on Trial, airing Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 8 PM ET on PBS. For all their
brutish reputation, Neanderthals were highly- sophisticated survivors in
Europe for over 200,000 years - until modern humans arrived from Africa
100,000 years ago. NOVA investigates what may have happened next.

Note the description does say: "...Neanderthals were highly- sophisticated
survivors..."

Best, deVries