Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:06:46 +0900
William Schnell wrote:

> I expect their findings would apply to domestic livestock, and not
> necessarily usable for wild animals.
> Only personal knowledge on this subject is that sickly (flea-ridden) city
> pets (both dogs and cats) when moved to a country environment lost their
> parasites and looked to be in good health. The cats ate mice and chipmunks -
> saw that, don't know what the dogs ate. In the house they were fed the same
> diet.
>  Would be interested in the relative burden of parasites between domestic and
> wild animals.

Generally wild animals are full of parasites, as are farm
dogs. Our dogs didn't have fleas, but did get lots of ticks.

Saw a story recently about a wolf killed in Wisconsin. They
figured it was a real, wild wolf, not an escaped pet because
it was full of parasites, while generally house dogs are de
wormed so are cleaner.