From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:22:11 +0100
Re dairy:- There are other concerns re dairy , other than allergies, such as strong links to auto-immune diseases etc.

Re re-enactment comment:-  Call me an utter  cynic but I get the impression that he's trading off the palaeo name/title, but at the same time widening the food-choices to some non-palaeo sources, so as to get more converts.

I suppose part of the reason for my reaction, of course, is that I did rather badly, healthwise, on many of the foods he recommends(eg:- butter, coconut oil etc.) Lowering fructose-rich fruit-intake and going zero-carb led to a drastic drop in health as well, and I find I actually do better if I include some pufa-rich seafood in my diet.

Incidentally, I doubt that sharp reductions in PUFAs constitutes "palaeo". After all, the Inuit on traditional diets were basically following a standard palaeo-diet(ie no dairy/grains/legumes), yet were eating rather high amounts of PUFAs. That said, Dr Harris is admittedly  aiming at people who eat modern  processed foods with lots of heated veggie-oils and the like, so reducing those PUFAs makes sense.

Aside from that, now that I've had time to look at a few more articles, I reckon he is a lot better than some pro-SFA advocates I've read in the past. 1 or 2 others appeared to recommend unhealthy grainfed meats instead of grassfed meats, because of the pufa-issue, unlike KH. Plus, while he seems a fan of Wrangham's million-year claims, he does at least admit that Wrangham is not too impressive as regards  the nutrition angle.

Re AGEs:- Well, I quite agree that they don't stop genes from being passed on(though I suspect levels of fertility are affected a little given some anecdotal reports of RVAFers). The trouble is that AGEs and other such toxins are heavily implicated in many age-related illnesses, so their consumption can lead to a very unpleasant old age.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/