From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 07:28:04 -0500
> If you eliminate the potatoes, legumes, dairy, GRAINS,
> alcohol, and refined sugar, you are unlikely to gain weight at any level
> of fat intake.

This has not been my experience, but I do agree that this method
does appear to raise the caloric "ceiling" at which I gain weight
somewhat.  On the other hand, I have found that when I try the
high-fat, mostly-meat implementation of paleo, I crave a *lot* of
calories and unless I watch my intake will tend to gain weight
for that reason.

It's interesting that on a balanced diet my intake spontaneously
comes to about 3,000 cal/day, or less.  That's without any
conscious effort.  On a high-fat paleo diet (no fruit, just meat,
fat, and a few salad greens) I am ravenous at this caloric level,
and want to eat much more.  But if I go much above 4,000 cal/day,
I gain weight.  Yet, I tend to want to eat 5,000 cal/day or more.
What do you suppose accounts for this change in appetite?  My
guess has been that gluconeogenesis is not producing essential
glucose fast enough, so I'm becoming hypoglycemic, but I haven't
verified that.

Todd Moody