From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:40:25 -0500
Just bang it hard around the equator with the back of a heavy cleaver
until it cracks (or a hammer if you don't have a cleaver). After it has
cracked most of the way, just pull it apart the rest of the way. Don't
waste your time draining the juice, just hold it over a big bowl while
cracking it and pour it through a strainer afterwards. I suggest peeling
or grating off the brown skin from the outside of the meat even though
it doesn't taste bad, because there is a fair amount of phytic acid in
coconut, and it is probably all in that skin (interferes with mineral
absorption). Peeling this also helps you notice any rotting areas.

Anyone know if there is a season for coconuts? The ones we've been
getting here at the supermarket since October have often been somewhat
rotten.