Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:31:04 -0500
SB Feldman writes:

<<As for those '...who depend' on
 me..., the patients I care for are, unfortunately, not free to make
 significant dietary choices in their lives. There are many improvements
that can be made in the nutrition of the acutely mentally ill that are
 hospitalized because they are in need of the highest level of care
available, but these are not forthcoming, especially for those also
unfortunate
enough to also be detained or incarcerated.>>

Norm writes:

<<Those poor souls are impotent and ignorant.  They need someone who has
power
and knowledge.  To merely be or to imagine, decide, plan and act ... that is
the question>>

A truly nutritious diet (forget the FDA minimum daily requirements) can have
a profound impact on people with "mental illnesses", especially those on
psychotropic medications ( which often interfere with vitamin and mineral
absorption and assimilation).

I think it is difficult for you, as a psychiatrist, to have an impact in
this area as it is not something your colleagues normally consider and you
are also up against budget constraints.  On the other hand, it is people
like you who are in the best position to effect change.

Do you work with people with concommitant substance abuse and mental
illness?  For these people, improved nutrition often is the key to their
ability to refrain from alcohol and drugs.  Major and trace minerals, as
well as EFA's  in addition to a paleo diet seems to significantly decrease
cravings, especially for alcohol.  ::::sigh:::  But, I digress yet again.

The system in which you work can be draining...I know.

Siobhan