From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:21:17 -0500
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Andy wrote:

> However, your software doesn't need to detect viruses at all. To remain
> completely safe, all it has to do is to refuse to run them. A properly
> designed email program, such as the one I use, will not, under ANY
> circumstance, activate or run any form of code that arrives with an email, no
> matter whether it is in the form of a macro, embedded in the message itself,
> or contained in an attachment. The PC remains safe, and no form of anti-virus
> software is required.

Yes, of course any email program can be (and should be)
configured not to open or execute attachments, by default.  The
problem is that there are, in fact, legitimate and useful (and
harmless) attachments that people will *want* to open.  For
example, people send documents to each other in proprietary
non-ascii formats, such as Microsoft Word format, and viruses can
be, and often are, buried in macro code in such documents.

> >So, even though I think we do all get tired of this, we can never forget
> >about it.
>
> I have.

You can forget about it only by refusing to accept all attached
files, infected or not.  Anyone who has a use for attached files
cannot use this method; they have to take a risk.

> >If your computer store is reputable, they......
>
> .......will not sell you a product which they know to be defective.

There is nothing defective about a product that allows the user
to open attachments.  For many users, email software that cannot
do this is useless.

Todd Moody