From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:05:41 +0900
Hans,

>When swimming (in the Baltic) today I managed to catch a small
>(length around 40 mm) living fish. I ate it live ...

Thank you for sharing your live seafood experience with us. You can't get
much closer to the source of your food than that. :)

I have eaten the occasional worm from my garden. However, I haven't been
able to bring myself to chew them. I make sure that they are reasonably
small, and then I don't have any problem swallowing them whole. The first
time I tried this, I didn't notice any particular taste. On the last couple
of occasions, though, I thought that they tasted a bit metallic, and I
wondered whether this could be because I fed them a whole lot of silverbeet
a while ago.

So far, this has simply been a curiosity to be explored occasionally,
rather than a serious attempt at getting sustenance. I imagine that it
would take quite a bit of effort to collect and eat enough of them to make
a meal. In addition, I have no idea of their nutrient profile, so I don't
know whether they would be particularly nutritious.

I realise that some people are a bit put off by this sort of discussion,
but I guess that it is just a matter of perspective - I know that there are
at least one or two people on this list who have expressed similar
interests before. I hope that I haven't offended anyone - that certainly
wasn't my intention.

Regards,
Barbara