From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:08:27 -0700
>Thanks for any information (on chocolate)!

Dianne,

Be prepared.  I'm at risk for tongue-lashings, as are you, most likely, for
asking a chocolate question.  But what the hell; life's short and yes, I
occasionally enjoy some cocoa.

Cocoa powder and baker's chocolate are both low in carbs.  I rarely, if
ever, use baker's chocolate.  I do, however, keep cocoa powder on hand.  I
use it every now and then in coco-milk shakes; coco milk, an egg or two,
cocoa and stevia.  It helps me keep my sanity.  I find that stevia and cocoa
work oh, so well together and taste, to me, like the real deal with
virtually no carbs.

Allow me to say something in cocoa's defense.  More than once, I've seen
list messages that recommend using carob, instead.  Carob is a member of the
legume family.  What makes this better than cocoa beans has often left me
wondering, as most of us avoid legumes.  That and comparing cocoa to carob
is like comparing apples to bricks; carob doesn't even come CLOSE to cocoa
in the flavor department.

Is cocoa paleo?  No.  But neither is toilet paper or the computer I'm typing
on.  I figure if I've given up at least half of what I used to eat, a
teaspoon of cocoa powder (with NO sugar) every now and then is just fine.
Others, however, will disagree.  In the end, it's up to you.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO