From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:37:43 -0500
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:11:17 -0500, judy genova <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Then, I also roasted up some chestnuts.  I assume they are on the O.K.
>list,
>but really, folks, they are not edible raw.

Of course they are, chestnuts are delicious raw (and fresh).
We speak about castanea sativa, edible chestnut, are we?

> So, I am a bit confused by the
>paleo restriction of "edible raw".  Many nuts and seeds COULD be eaten raw
>if you had no other choice, but why would you want to make yourself sick by
>doing so?  Many  aboriginals knew to cook or roast or soak their seeds to
>make them more digestible.

Many obvious paleo food aren't edible raw and need some kind of proecessing.
Like mongongo nuts, the main dish of the !Kung.

Edible raw means low in antinutrients.
Low in antinutrients means less *probable* allergic problems.
But *which* stuff you are sensible too or not is a very individual question.

Individuality is more important than rules of thumb.

Regards, Amadeus