Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:19:18 -0500

There are people who say that ingesting yeast contributes to internal yeast
overgrowth or infections ("candidiasis"). Some examples:

- "Most nutritionists agree that any good candida diet should reduce as much
as possible processed sugar, yeast, dairy, wheat, caffeine, nicotine and
alcohol. They are the main culprits because they help candida yeast to
grow." ("Candida Diet," http://www.pureliquidgold.com/candida-diet.htm)

- "Avoid anything containing yeast: brewer's yeast, baker's yeast, vitamins
derived from yeast." ("Curing Systemic Candida without GP help - questions,"
http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-46221)

On the other hand, there don't seem to have been a lot of studies done on
the harmful effects of yeast and some people claim that vinegar has
medicinal properties. Also, studies have shown health benefits from
yeast-containing wine and Cordain allows wine in his diet plans for anyone
who doesn't have a serious auto-immune disorder. For the latter, he believes
that even dead yeast proteins might trigger a hypersensitive immune system.

Fermented fruit might have been eaten occasionally by Paleolithic peoples,
but not enough to make the yeast it contained a staple ingredient. It was
not until the first alcoholic beverages around 10,000 years ago (beer or
perhaps mead) that yeast would have become a significant ingredient in human
diets, and even then only in certain regions (alcohol was still rare among
indigenous Americans when Europeans arrived in the Americas).

Cordain and Audette don't talk about yeast much in their books and don't
include it in their summary lists of foods to avoid (though they do briefly
say it should be avoided within the text of the books). That is a bit
curious. Below is some info on vinegar from Cordain that was posted in this
forum. Cordain boils it down to this: "vinegar could not have been consumed
by pre-agricultural people, and yeast containing foods were rarely if ever
encountered."