From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:42:12 -0700
Don Wiss wrote:
> They may seem healthy now, but they have many years to go. I expect many of
> your healthy friends will come down with a cancer later in life. Cancer
> incidence is correlated with grain consumption.

Do you happen to know the value of that correlation coefficient? I assume
you mean it is a positive one.

I ask because even setting aside the disparity between correlation and
causation, the correlation between two variables like "cancer" and "grain
consumption" would have to be considerable to make much of an impression
on me. When considering variables in a complex system like the body, or
human behavior, or society, everything is correlated with everything.